Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. J.S. Hartheimer, S. Park, S.S. Rao, Y. Kim (2019). Targeting hyaluronan interactions for glioblastoma stem cell therapy. Cancer Microenvironment. Accepted.
2. S. S. Rao, R. Kondapaneni, A. A. Narkhede (2019). Bioengineered models to study tumor dormancy. Journal of Biological Engineering. 13:3.
3. N. D. Sempertegui, A. A. Narkhede, V. Thomas, S. S. Rao (2018). A combined compression molding, heating, and leaching process for fabrication of micro-porous poly(ε-caprolactone) scaffolds. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition.
4. P. S. Nakod, Y. Kim, S. S. Rao (2018). Biomimetic models to examine microenvironmental regulation of glioblastoma stem cells. Cancer Letters. 429:41-53.
5. B.A. Aguado, R.M. Hartfield, G.G. Bushnell, J.T. Decker, S.M. Azarin, D. Nanavati, M.J. Schipma, S.S. Rao, R.S. Oakes, Y. Zhang, J.S. Jeruss, L.D. Shea (2018). Biomaterial scaffolds as pre-metastatic niche mimics systemically alter the primary tumor and tumor microenvironment. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 7(10):e1700903. (Article featured on the inside front cover).
6. A. A. Narkhede, J. H. Crenshaw, R. Manning, S.S. Rao (2018). The influence of matrix stiffness on the behavior of brain metastatic breast cancer cells in a biomimetic hyaluronic acid hydrogel platform. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. 106(7):1832-1841.
7. S. S. Rao, J. Stoehr†, D. Dokic, L. Wan, J.T. Decker, K. Konopka, A.L. Thomas, J. Wu, V. G. Kaklamani, L. D. Shea, J. S. Jeruss (2017). Synergistic effect of eribulin and CDK inhibition for the treatment of triple negative breast cancer. Oncotarget. 8(48):83925-83939. (This work was highlighted in Science Daily, University of Michigan Health System Blog, EurekAlert! (American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS), and various other websites)
8. B.A. Aguado, G.G. Bushnell, S.S. Rao, J.S. Jeruss, L.D. Shea (2017). Engineering the pre-metastatic niche. Nature Biomedical Engineering.1:0077. (Article featured on the journal cover)
9. A. A. Narkhede, L.A. Shevde, S.S. Rao (2017). Biomimetic strategies to recapitulate organ specific microenvironments for studying breast cancer metastasis. International Journal of Cancer. 141(6):1091-1109.
10. S. S. Rao, G.G. Bushnell, S. M. Azarin, G. Spicer, B. A. Aguado, J. Stoehr, E.J. Jiang, V. Backman, L. D. Shea, J. S. Jeruss (2016). Enhanced survival with implantable scaffolds that capture metastatic breast cancer cells in vivo. Cancer Research. 76(18):5209-5218. (This work was highlighted in Science Daily, NewsMax Health, Med Device Online, University of Michigan (UM) Comprehensive Cancer Center News, UM College of Engineering news, The Times of India, Newswise, Cancer Research UK News Report, and various other websites)
11. B.A. Aguado, J.R. Caffe, D. Nanavati, S.S. Rao, G.G. Bushnell, S.M. Azarin, L.D. Shea (2016). Extracellular matrix mediators of metastatic cell colonization characterized using scaffold mimics of the pre-metastatic niche. Acta Biomaterilia. 33:13-24. (This work was highlighted in Materials Today news)
12. B.A. Aguado, J.J. Wu, S.M. Azarin, D. Nanavati, S.S. Rao, G.G. Bushnell, C.B. Medicherla, L.D. Shea (2015). Secretome identification of immune cell factors mediating metastatic cell homing. Scientific Reports. 5:17566.
13. S.M. Azarin, J. Yi, R.M. Gower, B.A. Aguado, M.E. Sullivan, A.G. Goodman, E.J. Jiang, S.S. Rao, Y. Ren, S.L. Tucker, V. Backman, J.S. Jeruss, L.D. Shea (2015). In vivo capture and label-free detection of early metastatic cells. Nature Communications. 6:8094. (This work was highlighted in Nature, Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Journal of the National Cancer Institute, BBC news, New Scientist, NIH Director’s Blog, Popular Science, University of Michigan (UM) news, UM College of Engineering news, Spectator, Discovery news, and various other websites)
14. J. Grodecki, S.S. Rao, A.R. Short, J.J. Otero, J.J. Lannutti, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2015). Glioma-astrocyte interactions on white matter tract-mimetic aligned electrospun nanofibers. Biotechnology Progress. 31(5):1406-1415.
15. S.S. Rao, J.J. Lannutti, M.S. Viapiano, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2014). Toward 3D biomimetic models to understand the behavior of glioblastoma multiforme cells. Tissue Engineering, Part B: Reviews. 20(4):314-327.
16. S.S. Rao, J. DeJesus, A. R. Short, J.J. Otero, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2013). Glioblastoma behaviors in three-dimensional collagen-hyaluronan composite hydrogels. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 5(19): 9276-9284. (Invited Article) Special Issue: New Frontiers and Challenges in Biomaterials.
17. S.S. Rao, M.T. Nelson, R. Xue, J.K. DeJesus, M.S. Viapiano, J.J. Lannutti, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2013). Mimicking white matter tract topography using core-shell electrospun nanofibers to examine migration of malignant brain tumors. Biomaterials. 34(21): 5181-5190.
18. K.S. Parikh, S.S. Rao, H. Ansari, L.B. Zimmerman, L.J. Lee, S.A. Akbar, J.O. Winter (2012). Ceramic nanopatterned surfaces to explore the effects of nanotopography on cell attachment. Materials Science and Engineering C: Materials for Biological Applications. 32(8): 2469–2475.
19. S.S. Rao, S. Bentil, J. DeJesus, J. Larison, A. Hissong, R. Dupaix, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2012). Inherent interfacial mechanical gradients in 3D hydrogels influence tumor cell behaviors. PLoS ONE. 7(4):e35852.
20. N. Han, S.S. Rao, J. Johnson, K.S. Parikh, P.A. Bradley, J.J. Lannutti, J.O. Winter (2011). Hydrogel-electrospun fiber mat composite coatings for neural prostheses. Frontiers in Neuroengineering. 4(2):1-8.
21. S.S. Rao, N. Han, J.O. Winter (2011). Polylysine-modified PEG-based hydrogels to enhance the neuro-electrode interface. Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition. 22(4): 611–625.
22. S.S. Rao, J.O. Winter (2009). Adhesion molecule-modified biomaterials for neural tissue engineering. Frontiers in Neuroengineering. 2(6):1-14. (Invited Article) [Among the highest performing articles in this journal according to editor.]
23. G.M. Madhu, M.A.L. Antony Raj, K.V.K. Pai, S. Rao (2007). Photodegradation of methylene blue dye using UV/BaTiO3, UV/H2O2, and UV/BaTiO3/H2O2 oxidation processes. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology. 14:139-144.
24. G.M. Madhu, M.A.L. Antony Raj, K.V.K. Pai, S. Rao (2006). Photo catalytic degradation of Orange-III, Chemical Products Finder, The Journal of Materials and Equipment for the Process Industries. 25(2):19
Invited Book Chapter
1. A. A. Narkhede, S. S. Rao (2017). Electrospun Biomaterials for Cancer Research, In Electrospun Biomaterials and Related Technologies, J. Almodovar (Ed.), Springer Press, 169-205.
Conference Proceedings and Other Publications
1. M. A. Calhoun, S.S. Rao, S. Bentil, A. Short, T. Nelson, A. Sarkar, J.J. Lannutti, R. Dupaix, J.O. Winter (2014). Beyond elastic modulus: the role of interfacial mechanics in cell behavior. Transactions of the 38th Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials, Volume XXXVI, 2014 Annual Meeting, Denver, CO.
2. S.S. Rao, T. Nelson, R. Xue, J. DeJesus, M. Viapiano, J.J. Lannutti, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2012). Assessing the role of microenvironment on glioblastoma multiforme behaviors using white matter tract-mimetic aligned electrospun nanofibers. Transactions of the 36th Annual Meeting (Fall Symposium) of Society for Biomaterials, Volume XXXIV, 40, 2012 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
3. S.S. Rao, J. DeJesus, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2011). Brain mimetic hydrogels for investigating migration of glioblastoma multiformes in 3D. Transactions of the 35th Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials, Volume XXXIII, 671, 2011 Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
4. A. Hissong, J. Larison, S. Rao, J. Johnson, A. Sarkar, J.J. Lannutti, J.O. Winter (2011). Electrospun fiber-glia white matter mimetics. Transactions of the 35th Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials, Volume XXXIII, 670, 2011 Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL.
5. S.S. Rao, J. DeJesus, J. Larison, A. Sarkar, J.O. Winter (2010). Contrasting effects of 2D vs. 3D hydrogel microenvironments on the behavior of glioblastoma multiformes. Transactions of the 34th Annual Meeting of Society for Biomaterials, Volume XXXII, 540, 2010 Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA.